Cliff Slade - my talk for Cliff at his funeral - Clifford Elliot Slade 20th November 1952 - 3rd December 2021



I think I might preface my remarks about Cliff today by briefly relating what has transpired over the last few months. Some of you might have heard Cliff refer to me as Muzz, and we did a lot of things together. Late June we got bad backs together. We both had MRI’s we both had cortisone shots, and physio treatment, and I started to get better, but Cliff seemed to be taking longer to get better. In fact, he seemed to be getting worse. He was really struggling with the pain. It didn’t matter what he did, he was in pain. He was around our place one day and he sat down trying the special back support I had bought which I thought was fantastic. It didn’t ease his pain. I had also been given an inversion table, and that was really helping me. Cliff wanted to try that too. He got on it and laid back a little bit and it seemed to increase his pain. He wanted to lay back further thinking he might help, but I talked him out of that.

Margot and I went out to visit Cliff and Sandy one day and Sandy greeted us at the front door. Cliff came around from the side gate really struggling. He made it to me and just sort of threw his arms around me as much for support as for a greeting I think! He was looking really old. The pain seemed to be really taking a toll on him.

The various medical people he was seeing couldn’t seem to help. He felt so bad one day he asked Sandy to drive him to hospital. I may not have the time frame exactly right here, but it was pretty soon after that the medicos diagnosed cancer and Cliff started calling people to let them know. He said to me then that he didn’t think he would last long. Surgery was not on offer for his condition, but chemotherapy was suggested. One of the doctors asked Cliff was his plans were for next year and he told them that a big caravanning trip up through central Australia was on the cards, and they said that he should be able to do that. That gave him, and the rest of us, a bit of hope. So, he decided to go ahead with the chemo. They sent him home, which he was thrilled about. I remember being out at Plains Road and reading all the side effects on the box of chemo tablets and thinking that it would be a miracle if anyone survived after taking it, but it did help his back pain pretty quickly, so again we had a bit of hope.

 I started writing this on August 26, which must have been pretty close to the date that Cliffy was told he had cancer. I'll  mainly talk about him here in the present tense, as I believe  Cliff is with us, making sure everything  runs smoothly and Sandy and the rest of the Slade/Nelson clan are all OK.

(Cliff was a bit of a sook too you know. Several times after his dogs had died I witnessed him shedding a tear. Please join in with me. If you cry when I cry and laugh when I laugh I won’t feel so lonely up here. This is not unfamiliar territory for me. I’ve spoken at lots of funerals. Sometimes I get through it without a tear, sometimes I cry. It’s hard to predict what might happen! )

Cliff and I first met when working at the Footscray District Office of Telecom Australia in 1986. A co-worker,  Karen Robertson, introduced us as we were all getting off the train from Lara one day, on our way to work. It didn’t  take long before we found out we were both keen surfers, so we started surfing  together  on Saturday mornings. I can't remember when I first met Sandy and Jacqui and Pete, who were just little  tackers at the time, but it wasn't very long after I first met Cliff.

In addition to surfing together,  Cliff and I tried to play tennis  and golf together. I say tried, because I was pretty  terrible at golf and pretty average at tennis, whereas Cliff was quietly  competent  at both. He was the sort of bloke who could do just about anything and would  try just about everything If it was something  he could do with his family and friends, all the better. One of his favourite things was shooting rabbits with his Dad.

While working at Footscray together, I would sometimes drive rather than take the train. Cliff would come home with me rather than catch the train. This was when we'd have long chats about almost anything.

He's a loyal friend. Keeps in touch with a wide range of people - Scouting friends, work friends, and strangers who became friends. I'm sure lots of people think that  Cliff is their best friend and he would  treat all his friends  as if they were best friends.

 

 

Cliff and Graeme Aydon circa 1997

Cliff loves to introduce his friends to each other, especially if they have something in common. I remember  first meeting Graeme Aydon and family camping at Kennett River. Cliff, Graham and I soon became an inseparable surfing trio. Nick and Bruiser and others were later added to that trio and we soon became an instant crowd wherever we hit the water. It was a social event, not just a surf.

Cliff with daughter Jacqui and son Pete


Cliff is a dedicated family man. You couldn't meet a more loyal hubby and devoted father. They had regular family holidays and activities. Not only when the kids were young but still even up until Covid stopped it last year there was a yearly ski trip to Mt Buller.

I compiled at bit of a list of  "All the Things Cliff Can Do"  - this is not complete.

I think we all know people in slightly different ways. Maybe some of these things might surprise you, maybe you know some things about Cliff that might surprise me. 

Even though Cliff and I are the best of friends, in many ways we are complete opposites.

If the family needed a new piece of furniture, he'd make it! And he’d do a good job of it too! I'd pick it up on the side of the road or off Gumtree. I know that at Plains Rd, but now also at the Watson home in Belmont, and most likely all the way over in Perth at Pete and Jana's home, you will use some piece of furniture that Cliff made. That’s something to treasure!

He's a complete neat freak - almost annoying so at times, but everything has its place and it needs to be there! And he really looked after stuff as well, almost fanatically. If I ever borrow stuff (like a tool - borrowed his chainsaw recently) from Cliffy, I always make sure I'd clean it up really well before I returned it. Now in the rare event that Cliff and Sandy had a "barney", Cliffs "over neatness" would usually be the cause of it. He'd turn up at my place on the way to go for a surf or whatever, and he'd be looking a bit down, and he'd tell me about the "barney". And I'd say, "well you're a bit of an idiot aren't you mate" to which he would completely agree and tell me how he couldn’t bear to live without Sandy.

If we go surfing in his car, there's always plenty of space to sit. It's like no-one has been in his car for months. He jumps in my car and I have to almost sweep it out just so he can find somewhere sit down. 

And punctuality? Cliff was the sort of bloke who would almost invariably be 5 minutes early. I'm the opposite and I expect everyone to turn up 5 minutes late. If I’m five minutes late it actually means I’m ten minutes early. If Cliff did turn up exactly on time, that meant he was actually 5 minutes late. He was very patient with me though.

Sports and thrill seeking -

 

 


Surfing. This has been his passion, his number one past-time for many, many years. He was a wave catching machine. He always road a pretty big board. I could never keep up with him. He was actually a very good body surfer too, which I always struggled with.

But he's done lots of other things. 

I know he went skydiving once. Jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane was not something that ever appealed to me, but it was something on Cliff's list of exciting things to do in life.

He went bungee jumping in NZ too. He was probably in his mid fifties when he thought this was a great idea.

Cliff, Sandy and Pete went hiking to Mt Everest  base camp. Not everyone does this you know, and it’s quite an achievement, but again, this was something on Cliff's list of exciting things to do.

He went swimming with whale sharks in Western Australia. We all know this is a great experience and not terribly dangerous but he also went diving with  white pointers in South Australia! He invited me of course. I know it was in one of those cages, but a hungry white pointer is a hungry white pointer!

Swimming. We'd swim together to help keep us fit for surfing. Staring at a black line is fairly boring, but this was something that Cliff was pretty consistent with for a long time, and for Cliff it became a social event when I went along with him, which was pretty frequently. Even back when we worked at Footscray, we would often go for a lunchtime swim. It was amazing how many times we were swimming at Waterworld in Norlane or at Lara that there was someone there who knew Cliff. He knew stacks of people and it was very rare to hear Cliff speak ill of anyone. If he did, I'd really take notice, and take a wide berth from whoever it was. Cliff's word is good enough for me!

Cliff was always incredibly fit. When doing laps at Waterworld, we would aim for 40 laps (one klm). Because I was always 5 minutes late and he was always 5 minutes early, he always had a 10 minute head start on me. So, by the time I was getting close to 40 laps, he had probably done 40. I would struggle to know how many laps I had done, running out of fingers and toes. I’d say “how many laps have we done Cliffy” and he would always know exactly. He'd just keep on going, keeping me company in the pool until I did my 40. I would never catch up to him!  

Then there is tennis. We all know what a great tennis player Sandy is. Cliff is no slouch on the tennis court either,  but his great achievement in tennis was building a tennis court on the block. He built a tennis court! (who does that? Cliffy does!)

Bike riding - he bought a really nice Trek bike many years ago to use on special occasions. It still looks brand new. He had a series of "struggle  buggies" as he used to call them, old bikes that he would pick up cheap somewhere, maybe  at the Douro St recycling centre, and he uses those to ride to the station to get to work which he did all the years he worked in Melbourne. The good bike is never used for such mundane purposes! Not like me -  I use the best bike all the time and it looks like it!

One of the key things with all these activities - He likes to do them with other people. The social element is just as important for Cliff  - friends, family, maybe even strangers, as he has the ability to make friends with anyone very quickly.

Cliffy loved to cook! He is a recipe following sort of cook – very methodical. I’m the opposite, just sort of throwing it all together. I took him out some of my bread recently and he loved it and wanted the recipe and I don’t have a written recipe so I just had to make it up a bit, but he wrote down every word I said and then a few days later had me check it to make sure he got it right. He would sometimes bring home recipes from one of the V-line girls and treat us to a dinner.

Kathy, Fred and Cliff speaking at their mum Joan's funeral


Cliff is also a very good public speaker. Hearing him speak at Jacqui and Brads wedding, later his dad's, and then his mum's  funerals,  I realised that in his working life Cliff could  have achieved  much more than he did. He is a highly intelligent  man (if you've ever played board games like Scrabble with him you would know that), but work is not a priority  for Cliff. Before he started work at V-line, he was offered a contract on big money with Telstra and he was tossing up between that and the V-line job. I know he asked various people for their opinions about what he should do, and I think we all said the same thing, which probably just confirmed what he has already decided. Family  and friends are what matters most, and work is just a means to an end and not and end in itself. I think lots of us, especially  me, can learn from that. Cliff and Sandy had lots of time together as a result of that decision. And Cliff and I had lots of surfing time.

As soon as you meet him you  know that Cliff Slade is a bloke you can trust. His word is his bond. Put your life in his hands and you know you're safe! Unless he was inviting you to swim with sharks perhaps!

Even though Cliffy is not religious in the regular church going sort of way (like me) he exhibits a quiet spirituality that is shown in his love for family and friends and evidence of his good Aussie post-war Christian upbringing. For those younger people here today, family and friends, if you want a good role model, pick Uncle Cliff or Poppy Cliff, whatever he is to you. 

 

Cliff, Sandy, Margot and I at a Church ball. 

I'm  going to change  gear now and talk about Cliff in a future tense. I believe that Cliff  is with us now, waiting to see where his earthly remains will be laid to rest. He's  a neat freak, remember! I personally believe that through the resurrection  of Jesus Christ all mankind will be resurrected and until that time Cliffy will be anxiously  awaiting the arrival of all his family and friends, but most especially Sandy, to have a great family reunion, where he'll once again give everyone  a big hug and tell you how happy he is to see you. Hang on to that hope, it will make life easier for you as you get older and see your friends and family leave this life to progress on into the next phase of existence. 

I’m going to close now with a well known quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, which I think sums up Cliff pretty well -

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

The hearse about to leave for the crematorium.



(Because of time constraints I gave a very brief version of this talk)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Father of the Bride Speech for Miriam