We've met some interesting characters here in Bangkok. Maybe the most inspiring was Tom. I wish I had taken a photo of him. He is a sprightly senior man, a full head of wavy grey hair, probably very close to me in height and weight (172cm, 68kg) maybe a bit smaller, and in good shape. I guessed he was in his mid-70s.

We had breakfast with Tom and his wife on Tuesesday morning, and then yesterday morning we chatted while in the foyer while they waited for a taxi. I wished we had long to talk to Tom, but one thing I've always  been good at is getting people  to talk about themselves. When we had breakfast together, he told us how old he is. Eighty-four years old.

So I got him talking about what he does to keep healthy. Every second day he does 100 push ups. The other days he walks 2 miles. That's pretty darned impressive for an 84 year old.

I found that to be pretty inspiring! If you took my kitesurf and SUP surf sessions out of my exercise routine, he actually does more than me!

My current routine is a daily Tai Chi and, as an alternative, sometimes a walk of about 5000 steps or a 40 minute bike ride, or very occasionally 1000 metres in the pool. So, as inspired by Tom, I'm going to add 100 pushups every second day. I think it would be good to be like Tom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Father of the Bride Speech for Miriam

Cliff Slade - my talk for Cliff at his funeral - Clifford Elliot Slade 20th November 1952 - 3rd December 2021